The Role of the Cost Consultant
We understand that in today’s commercial market place cost is an extremely important factor in deciding whether to commit to an office move or refurbishment. The rental cost of space is relatively consistent for a given location but the fit-out cost can vary enormously depending on the level of specification and finish which is chosen.
At Storey our highly skilled and experienced Cost Management team work closely with our diverse client base to ensure that budgets are accurately set at the outset and then to carefully consider the impact of any design choices on the overall cost of the scheme. Once the design is finalised we assist with procurement and selection of suitable Contractors and work with you to ensure a robust Contract is in place for the Works.
During construction, we will monitor costs in relation to progress to make sure you are paying nothing other than the right amount at any given point. Our core and overriding objective is to ensure that you are commercially protected at all times.
We want to be sure that every decision you make is as well informed and that throughout the project life cycle you are fully aware of the likely final costs to avoid any unwanted surprises which can make for extremely difficult conversations when reporting back to your colleagues.
Scope of Services
With the project manager understand your brief and needs
- Assess and identify reliable initial budgets
- Produce fit out cost comparisons of shortlisted buildings options
- Input all landlord contributions into the overall budget
Design & Procurement
- Advise on the best procurement strategy for the project
- Advise on suitable forms of construction contracts
- Alongside your legal teams agree the contractual terms.
- Feed information into the procurement document
- Refine cost plans after designs have been confirmed to ensure the project is on budget
- Manage the procurement process
- Interrogate contractor returns and costs
- Produce a detailed tender summary of the contractors costs and returns
- Drive and implement required value engineering options
- Facilitate the execution of the construction contract
ttend all necessary meetings on site
- Assess and validate any variations or changes, driving value and ensuring client are receiving market rates
- Ringfence costs versus agreed budgets throughout
- Validate contractor valuations versus works completed to make sure client only every pay for works completed
- Issue payment recommendations to the Contract Administrator
- Produce regular cost reports to summaries the project costs at any given point in the programme
- Analyse and settle the final account